This is my favourite type of Pulao or as lovingly we call it in our family Poloa 🙂 . I made it easy!
To make sweet basanti pulao, you will need
1 cup Basmati Rice
2 Cups of Water (for the final stage)
1 tbs ghee
2 tbs of vegetable oil
10 to 12 pieces of whole cashew nuts
10 to 12 pieces of resins (kismis)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt (optional)
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 inch long cinnamon stick
2 to 3 whole green cardamom
3 to 4 whole cloves
1 tsp of Garam Mashla
In a bowl keep the rice immersed for half an hour and then drain the water. Clean the rice under running water couple of times.
In a kadai take couple of table-spoons full of vegetable oil and one table spoon ghee, wait till the ghee melts and the oil is moderately hot.
Add a bay leaf and whole spices, a pinch of whole cumin seeds, one cinnamon stick, couple of green cardamom, three-four cloves. Stir for few seconds and then add the rice in.
Sauté the rice for a minute with a pinch of turmeric, which will bring the yellow colour of the pulao.
Add a table-spoon full of sugar, a pinch of salt, 10-12 cashew nuts, 10-12 raisins and sauté some more in low heat.
Add the water and cover the pan.
Cook till the rice is done and all the water has evaporated. If required add a little water in between.
Sprinkle some powdered garam-mashla on top and serve with your favourite dry veg or non-veg curry.
- Immerse the rice in water for half hour and then clean in running water
- In a kadai heat some vegetable oil and ghee
- Add bay leaf and whole spice, sauté for few seconds
- Add the clean rice and sauté for a minute
- Add turmeric powder, cashew nuts, raisins, sugar and salt. Sauté for another minute.
- Add water and cook covered
- Cook till done.
- Sweet Basanti Pulao ready to serve with your favourite saahi curry.